Erik Erickson

Erik Erikson

Erik Erikson was one of the early contributors to the idea of development from the late teens through the twenties during the 1960’s.  Unlike G. Stanley Hall, Erikson did not specify age in his publications (Arnett, 2000).  While he does not name this stage, Erikson believed that it is was a time for young adults to find a unique niche in some section of their society that fits their individual needs (Erikson, 1968, p. 156), specifically this was referred to as a psychosocial moratorium.

Erik Erikson has 8 psychosocial stages:

• Stage 1: Trust vs. Mistrust
  • Stage 2: Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt
  • Stage 3: Initiative vs. Guilt
  • Stage 4: Industry vs. Inferiority
  • Stage 5: Identity vs. Confusion
  • Stage 6: Intimacy vs. Isolation
  • Stage 7: Generatively vs. Stagnation
  • Stage 8: Integrity vs. Despair

Out of all of the psychosocial stages Erikson proposes, the stages that most pertain to this time period are the 5th and 6th stage: Identity vs. Confusion and Intimacy vs. Isolation respectively.  The Identity vs. Confusion stage is a time during adolescence when the individual is trying to discover their identity and independence from their parents.  With proper encouragement the person can move on from this stage with a sense of control, self and independence (Erikson, 1968, p.132-133; Cherry). Once individuals experience the stage of Identity vs. Confusion, they enter the 6th stage of Intimacy vs. Isolation.  This is a period of time for the exploration of relationships.  Erikson felt that in order to move to the 7th step, which occurred as one became an adult, one had to be able to form and maintain committed relationships. If youth are unsure about their identities, they will be reluctant to form interpersonal relationships (Erikson, 1968, p. 135-136). If youth do not experience intimate relationships, it is likely that they will feel a sense of isolation.

During psychosocial moratorium, adolescences are able to explore their identities without taking on adult responsibilities.  This is a latency period between adolescence and adulthood. Adulthood was defined as the point in time in which the individual is ready to be a parent.  The characteristics associated with the people in this latency life stage include the inability to form intimate relationships and having not yet reached the psychosocial readiness required for adulthood.  Erikson mentions that most societies where these moratoriums exists allow it to happen.  Things like apprenticships and prolonged schooling are accepted and even expected by the society.  This is also a time for the person to explore.  Often the person has adventures that coincide with societies values.  During this time period it is common that a person puts off having a job because they are waiting to find one that is not only promising financially, but that would allow them to use their unique talents and give them satisfaction.  This is a time of paradox for the young individual.  On the one hand they wish to have free will when making decisions, but will act in a way that his or her parents find shamelessly in order to avoid coming across as shameless to his or her peers (Erikson, 1968, p. 129).

This shows Erikson’s finding which is mirrored in Jeffery Jensen Arnett’s beliefs mentioned later, that during this stage of life peers become extremely important to the individual, at times become more influential than their parents.  Another characteristic of this time period is the idea of identity confusion.  A person in this stage is stuck between the identity they had as a young child and the one they will have as an adult.  According to Erikson, love experienced in this stage is not based on sexual needs but instead on the person’s need to be able to define their identity by seeing it reflected in their partner (Erikson, 1968, p. 157).  This is also congruent with Arnett’s belief that relationships during this transitional time period are a way for the individual to further explore their identity.

Without realizing it, Erikson established the foundation for emerging adulthood, by postulating that there is a stage in-between adolescence and adulthood, and by laying the foundation for many of the characteristics that Jeffery Jenson Arnett proposes belong in the period of Emerging Adulthood.

Created by:  Lisa Feeley, Amanda Halliburton and Bethany Mastrorilli

______________________________________________________________

References:

Arnett, J. J. (2000). Emerging adulthood: A theory of development from the late teens through the twenties. American Psychologist, 55(5), 469-480. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.55.5.469

Cherry, K.K.P. (n.d.). Erikson’s stages of psychosocial development. Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/psychosocial.htm

Erikson, E. H. (1968). Identity: Youth and crisis. New York: Norton.

10 Responses to “Erik Erickson”

1. Kripaluji says:

Yo, I am havin a tough time trying to rank well for the term “victorias secret coupon codes”… Pls approve my comment!!

2. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

3. Collin Kueny says:

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome site!

4. Emelda Moura says:

This web site does not display correctly on my iphone 4 – you might want to try and fix that

5. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; we have created some nice methods and we are looking to exchange strategies with others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

6. Excellent post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Cheers!

7. Thank you, I’ve recently been looking for details about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

8. Rubin Gata says:

In this awesome scheme of things you secure a B+ just for hard work. Where exactly you misplaced everybody was first in your details. As as the maxim goes, details make or break the argument.. And it could not be much more accurate here. Having said that, permit me tell you what exactly did do the job. Your article (parts of it) is definitely rather powerful and this is probably the reason why I am taking the effort to opine. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Secondly, whilst I can certainly see a jumps in logic you make, I am not convinced of exactly how you appear to connect your ideas which produce the final result. For now I will, no doubt subscribe to your point however hope in the near future you connect your facts much better.

9. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

10. myrn says:

good job